Here is an east coast twist on the southern staple.
Sausage and Oyster Cornbread Dressing
- 1 batch cornbread crumbled
- 1 loaf sourdough french bread cut into small cubes
- 14-18 large oysters
- 2 Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 large onion diced fine
- 2-3 large ribs celery chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- Chicken stock
4 days before make breads and dry out in oven stirring once a day. Saute onion until golden in butter. Add sausage and brown, then add celery and garlic and saute until softened. Add cooked items to bowl of bread and mix well. Add eggs and spices and mix well again. In a bowl cut oysters into small bits with scissors. Pour into bread mixture including all juice and mix well again. Add enough chicken stock to form a solid loaf and press into a greased 9×12 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until done, about 45 minutes.