Oyster soup recipes are mostly cream based. Mostly.
Oyster and Andouille Soup
- 1 lb shucked oysters about 14-20 depending on size
- 2 fresh andouille sausage sliced
- 6 whole anchovies packed in salt rinsed and chopped
- 2 chili de arbols chopped fine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 can tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 red bell pepper diced medium
- 1 onion diced fine
- 1 leek quartered chopped fine
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
Shuck oysters, save juice and rinse. In a large stock pot melt butter and saute onion over low heat until golden. Add chili peppers, sausage and anchovies and brown meat. Add bell pepper and leak and saute until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, then add flour and mix well. Continue to saute on low until roux begins to color then add tomatoes and deglaze pan. Bring heat to medium and add oyster liquid and broth. Bring to a boil then turn to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper. If ready to serve add oysters and poach for 1 minute. If not let soup stand until ready, bring back to simmer and then poach fish. Soup base gains spice and flavor if left to sit for a couple hours.