This is a very easy recipe that pairs well with all sorts of roasted meat. It does take a little time to cook, but it can be reheated a day later for a simple weeknight side.
Braised Cabbage Wedges
- 1 head cabbage cut into 8 slices, core left in
- 3-4 large carrots chopped into big bites
- 6-8 cloves garlic
- 3-4 slices onion about 1/4″ thick separated into rings
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 2 tbsp butter sliced into 8 thin pats
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 8-12 juniper berries crushed
Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter. Arrange cabbage wedges in one even layer then place a pat of butter on the center of each. Distribute that remaining vegetables and spices equally across the dish and pour in the beer. Cover tightly with foil and bake in an oven at 315 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven and uncover. Flip the cabbage wedges over carefully and recover with foil. Braise in oven for another hour. Remove and serve hot.