This is a light simple soup that has a ton of flavor thanks to the kale and breakfast sausage. I used a mild turkey sausage to make it healthier, but pork would work so well. Do not use a spicy sausage.
Breakfast Sausage, Kale and Red Potato Soup
- 3 lbs red potatoes washed and cut into large bites
- 8 links cooked breakfast sausage cut into rounds
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 6 cups kale leaves torn into small pieces by hand
- 8 leaves basil roughly chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dry white wine
In a large stock pot heat 2 tbsp butter and saute onion until golden brown. Add potatoes and sweat vegetables covered over low heat for 10 minutes. Add wine and deglaze pan. Bring to a boil and reduce by half. Add sausage and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer soup for 15 minutes then add kale and basil. Continue to cook soup until potatoes break easily with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and serve with toast.