This is a classic Sicilian appetizer that works well hot or cold. Serve it over polenta or with toasted bread.
- 1 1/2 lbs eggplant partially peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 large rib celery diced fine
- 1 onion sliced in half and then sliced paper thin
- 10 Roma tomatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp salted capers
- 10 large green olives quartered
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp basil cut into long ribbons
- olive oil
Sprinkle eggplant with salt, place in a colander with a weighted plate on top and press for 30 minutes. In a three-quart stockpot saute onion in olive oil over medium low heat until golden brown. Add tomatoes and celery and cook until sauce begins to thicken. Meanwhile saute eggplant in olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat until browned. Add vinegar and deglaze pan, then add tomato sauce, sugar, capers, olives and basil. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Serve hot or cold.