The tile is done and it turned out great in the end.
This tile floor is the third one I have done and it posed new and different problems. Like previous floors I started by placing a layer of cement board on the floor with thin set mortar and a mess of special flooring screws.
Then I laid the tile in an alternating row pattern across the floor. Everything was fine until I got to the first seam and found it had a ridge that caused the tile to rock like a see-saw. In the end I had to hand scrape all the seams until the tile lay flat. This turned a two-day project into a four-day one.
For some reason the concrete board did not lay flat on all the seams. One of the reasons for installing the board in the first place is that it evens out the floor and makes a flat surface to work on. For those who know, yes I used enough screws in each board spaced properly, and yes I scraped the subfloor very well.
Anyway after the kitchen, powder room and laundry had tile I went back and added the grout and Katherine went back and cleaned the tile, then the house, then the tile and then the house again. That mortar and grout dust gets everywhere.