At first this seemed more like a chowder, but since all chowders must have fish in them I called it a stew.
It is really a thick soup.
Grilled Corn and Black Eyed Pea Stew
- 4 carrots diced small
- 2 grilled ears of corn, kernels cut from the cobs
- 2 ribs of celery diced small
- 1 onion minced
- 14-16 stewed Roma tomatoes crushed by hand
- 2 Anaheim peppers grilled and chopped fine
- 2 cups dried black eyed peas
- 1 qt vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
In a large stock pot saute onion in butter over low heat until golden. Add carrot, peppers and celery and saute until soft. Add peas and turmeric and stir to coat. Add wine and bring heat to high. reduce liquid by half then add stock, tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes then add corn. Continue to cook until soup is thick, about 20 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper and serve with toasted French bread.