Aww heck, our regular grocery store has some fancy-pants new organic mushrooms. Hold us back.
Wild Mushroom Soup
- 2 1/4 cup dried shitakes (about a 2.5 ounce pack)
- 1/4 cup dried porcinis
- 4 ounces thinly sliced white mushrooms such as button or cremini
- 4 ounces maitake mushrooms chopped roughly
- 1 1/2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 cayenne peppers, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- olive oil
Soak dried mushrooms in enough boiling water to cover them for 30 minutes. Remove mushrooms and squeeze as much liquid from them, reserving the juice. Chop re-hydrated mushrooms into a fine dice. Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large stock pan. Throw in onions and saute over low heat until golden and soft, about 15 minutes. Stir in dried mushrooms and saute until they begin to brown over medium heat. Add fresh mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid. Add reserved mushroom water and broth and bring to a low boil then turn heat down to medium and cook until soup incorporates, about 15 minutes. Add cream and thyme mix well and cook another 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Remove from heat and serve warm.