This soup is almost more of a hearty vegetable stew.
Add more stock if you prefer more broth.
Potato and Leek Soup
- 4-6 medium potatoes washed, and cut into small bites skin still on
- 2 large leeks washed well
- 1 cayenne pepper diced fine
- 6 large garlic cloves sliced into thin slivers
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
Finely dice white part of leeks . Slice green parts into thin half circles. In a large stock pot heat two tablepoons olive oil with one tablespoon butter. Saute white part of leeks until they begin to brown. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Add potatoes and one tablespoon sage. Mix well and turn heat to very low. Sweat vegetables for 5 minutes. Add green part of leeks, season with salt and pepper and one tablespoon thyme. Cover and sweat another 5 minutes. Add wine and deglaze pan. Turn heat back to a medium simmer and add stock and the rest of the herbs. Cook until potatoes break easily with the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and serve with toasted Italian bread.