Having a cold in the summer is the worst. Even with the AC on, we crave cool meals. But this soup is light, spicy and makes the most of summer vegetables and leftovers. It comes together quickly. We used cooked black-eyed peas, but that type of bean cooks fast, so used dried if you wish. Since we eat less meat in the summer, we used canned broth. But use fresh by all means if you have it.
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas or purple hulls
- kernels from 2 ears of cooked corn on the cob
- 2 links cooked Italian sausage, sliced
- 6-8 chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1-2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a 4- to 6-quart pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm with some bacon cheddar corn muffins.