We love strawberries and have found the best strawberry dishes are the ones that let strawberries shine, a little lemon here, a little balsamic there, a bit of basil or honey, a touch of sugar, a sprig of mint.
Here’s one of our recent creations, followed by some of our favorites — all of which call for only a few ingredients.
Strawberry season is too short.
- 4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon, plus 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 18-20 wheat crackers or crostini (something with a touch of sweetness works well)
Mix sliced strawberries with juice from half a lemon and sugar. Sit aside and let macerate at room temperature. Mix the remaining lemon juice, honey and goat cheese. Use a hand mixer if needed. Spread about a teaspoon of the goat cheese mix on each cracker. Top with two to four strawberry slices, using a slotted spoon to drain excess juice. (Just drink the leftover juice when no one’s looking.) Sprinkle with basil and serve with bubbly.
And now for the strawberry highlight reel: