Here is my recipe for Italian sausage. I usually make this type of sausage when the quality of the pork is not as good. The large assortment of spice helps to improve cuts of meat that have more sinew or are slightly gamier as well.
That said it also works well with quality cuts of meat.I like it spicy, but if you prefer sweet reduce the red pepper flakes to one tablespoon, eliminate the cayenne pepper and add two tablepoons sweet paprika. Star anise can be found at most Asian markets and is very inexpensive. For how to make sausage go here.
- 6 lbs pork shoulder butt fat included chopped into small pieces
- 2 1/2 tbsp kosher sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 star anise ground fine
- 1 tsp corriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano chopped fine
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped fine
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped fine
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
Combine everything but the wine. Allow to sit overnight in refrigerator. Follow basic steps to make sausage. This recipe makes roughly 24-30 4″ links.