Broken tortilla chips can be added to give this a little more crunch if desired.
Layered Mexican Salad
- 1/2 lb black beans
- 1 cup red chili sauce or salsa
- 4 green onions white and green parts chopped and separated
Wash and soak beans overnight. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to a simmer and cook until soft, adding more water if required. Add white parts of onion and chili sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook until thick and creamy, about 1 hour. Add green parts of onion and serve.
- 1 small head cabbage cored and shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
Place cabbage in a bowl. Mix other ingredients together and pour over cabbage. Let sit for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
For fruit salsa
- 1/2 pineapple cut into small chunks
- 1 mango cut into small dice
- 2 jalapenos minced
- 4 green onions chopped fine
- 3 avocados chopped into small dice
- 2 tbsp cilantro
Mix everything together and let sit for an hour in refrigerator before serving. To assemble start with cabbage then beans and top with salsa. Apply hot sauce as required.