This is a great side with burgers or steak. Change the spice in the marinade to your taste. I like Tapatio.
Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Stacks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Whisk everything together.
- 1 eggplant sliced 1/4″ thin longways salted and weighted for 1/2 hour
- 1-2 Zucchini sliced 1/4″ thin longways
- 2-3 tomatoes sliced thick
- 3 shitake mushroom caps sliced paper thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- goat cheese
- salt pepper
Brush marinade over eggplant and zuchini. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. Grill slices over direct heat until browned on both sides, about seven minutes. Meanwhile in a large frying pan melt 1 tablespoon butter and fry mushrooms until browned. Add garlic and cook for a minute more. To assemble spread goat cheese over an eggplant slice. Top with some mushroom. Top with tomato then zucchini. Spread more cheese on zucchini, then repeat mushrooms and tomato. Top with an eggplant slice. Serve hot or cold. The left over marinade can be drizzled over them as well.