I pulled the carrots today to make way for the arugula. I had hoped for a bigger yield and larger size, but the colder winter here in the South hurt the growth. The carrots were an experiment to see if I could get a good crop from winter growth before the arugula seeds had to go in. While the answer is no, I consider the experiment a success since I won’t repeat the mistake. It has also helped me decide to chop down the last dogwood and build another raised bed for next year.
When it comes to arugula (a key ingredient in my pesto), I have found that the easiest thing to do is score one-inch deep trenches six inches apart and scatter the seeds into them. Then cover with soil and pat down lightly. When the plants start to come up I will then thin the lines out wherever needed. One package of seeds usually cover two two-foot-long trenches.